HPS Pharmacies wish to advise that Juno has issued an important reminder regarding the use of their pre-filled syringes, which includes the following products:
Adrenaline Aguettant Syringe
Adrenaline (epinephrine) acid tartrate 1:10,000 (1mg/10mL)
Ephedrine Hydrochloride Aguettant Syringe
Ephedrine Hydrochloride 30mg/10mL
Metaraminol Juno Syringe
Metaraminol (as tartrate) 2.5mg/5 mL + 5mg/10mL
ARTG 298220 + 298219
These pre-filled syringes are all terminally sterilised in the syringe to ensure the highest level of sterility. However, the bung often adheres slightly to the barrel of the syringe during this process and requires priming before use. The plunger must be pushed to release the bung before twisting off the cap. Aguettant provides an instructional video which can be accessed at https://vimeo.com/174787063 using the password ‘PFS.’
Other points to remember:
- These syringes have not been designed to be used in syringe driver pumps;
- Pre-filled syringes should be kept in their original packaging until time of use;
- The concentration for these products is only expressed in relation to the total volume of the syringe (e.g. 5mg/10mL) while other brands may express the concentration per mL;
- The increments on the pre-filled syringes are labelled in mL;
- The new Metaraminol Juno 5mg/10mL pre-filled syringe looks similar to the new Adrenaline Aguettant 1:10,000 pre-filled syringe; and
- These medicines are available in a number of different strengths and packaging may look similar to other pre-filled syringes available on the ward. Check all products carefully to ensure the correct drug and strength have been selected.
The product packaging should be referred to for instructions for use, and the relevant product information reviewed for further information.
Retain this notice in a prominent position, including in other related business units for one month. Report any problems identified with medicines, vaccines or medical devices to the TGA.
Should you require further information regarding this matter, please contact your pharmacist at HPS Pharmacies, or Juno on (03) 8888 1288.