HPS Pharmacies wish to pass on administration advice obtained from Fresenius Kabi in relation to their KabiPac® infusion bottles.
KabiPac® are polyethylene infusion bottles available in a number of presentations, including the following Fresius Kabi products:
- Metronidazole Kabi;
- Moxifloxacin Kabi;
- Linezolid Kabi; and
- Potassium Chloride in Sodium Chloride.
Fresenius Kabi advise the following instructions should be followed for general preparation:
1. Inspect the container for damage, colour, particulate matter. Check solution composition, expiry date and lot number.
2. Identify the correct port
- Injection – arrow points towards container
- Infusion – arrow points away from container
3. Apply light pressure to the arrow tab on the safety cap to open.
The following instructions should be used for preparing an infusion:
1. Put the KabiPac® container on a stable surface and open the infusion port.
2. Push the spike of the infusion set vertically into the infusion port using a light turning motion, using your other hand to support the neck of the container. Any standard ISO infusion set may be used; if the infusion set has an air vent, it should remain closed. The roller clamp should be open while the spike is inserted and closed afterwards.
3. Hang container on infusion stand, fill drip container to approximately half way, prime infusion set.
KabiPac® bottles do not require venting prior to infusion. For more information on how to use KabiPac® containers, please click here.
Retain this notice in a prominent position, including in other related business units for one month. Report any problems identified with medicines, vaccines or medical devices to the TGA.
Should you require further information regarding this matter, please contact Fresenius Kabi on 1300 732 001, or your pharmacist at HPS Pharmacies.
Subscribe Knowledge Centre Updates
Enter your details to receive Knowledge Centre updates