Interstitial cystitis (IC) or bladder pain syndrome (BPS) is a chronic bladder health issue. In the healthy bladder, a natural barrier protects the bladder lining from irritating and toxic substances found in the urine. That barrier is called the glycosaminoglycan (GAG) layer. If this barrier is damaged, urine comes in direct contact with the tissues of the bladder lining and, over time, can cause damage to this tissue as well as allowing bacteria to adhere. Chronic inflammation also affects the integrity of the GAG layer. Replenishing the defective GAG layer with naturally occurring mucopolysaccharides such as hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulphate can repair this damaged layer.
iAluRil is available as a 50ml prefilled syringe containing hyaluronic acid (1.6% – 800mg/50ml, sodium chondroitin sulphate(2% – 1g/50ml), and calcium chloride (0.87% – 440mg/50ml). It is not listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
- Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome;
- Chemical cystitis – damage to the bladder lining caused by chemotherapy;
- Radiotherapy-induced cystitis – damage to the bladder lining caused by radiation to the pelvis; and
- Recurrent urinary tract infections.
Dosage and Administration:
For bladder pain syndrome, the recommended protocol is one prefilled syringe intravesically once a week for the first month, then once every two weeks for a month, followed by once a month until remission.
One prefilled syringe is administered intravesically into the empty bladder (using a catheter). Once iAluRil is instilled into the bladder, it is held for at least half an hour to give time to bond or as long as it is practical or possible. Once it can be held no more, normal urinating can empty the bladder.
No side effects are reported other than irritation that is due to the procedure, not the product itself.
- iAluRil® (sodium hyaluronate + sodium chondroitin sulphate) Australian product information. Cremorne: Juno Pharmaceuticals; 2014.
- Juno Pharmaceuticals. iAluRil®. Cremorne, Australia. Available from ialuril.com.au