Notice of Packaging Change
HPS Pharmacies wish to advise that Pfizer Australia has given notice of a packaging change for Bicillin® L-A as follows:
|Element||Old packaging||New packaging|
|Active ingredient name||Benzathine benzylpenicillin||Benzathine benzylpenicillin tetrahydrate|
|Expression of strength||900mg/2.3mL||1,200,000 units/2.3mL|
|Storage conditions||2-8°C. Refrigerate, do not freeze.||2-8°C. Refrigerate, do not freeze.
May be stored below 30°C for a single period of up to 2 months prior to expiry. Do not return to refrigerated storage.
There has been no change to the active ingredient, strength, formulation, dosing, or administration instructions.
To avoid dosing confusion, it is important to be aware of the dose equivalence for the two different forms of strength expression. The product information has been updated to include a dose equivalence between mg and units for benzathine benzylpenicillin tetrahydrate. However, some commonly used references may still provide equivalents for benzathine benzylpenicillin.
The following doses are equivalent:
- 1,200,000 units Benzathine benzylpenicillin tetrahydrate.
- 1016.6mg Benzathine benzylpenicillin tetrahydrate.
- 900mg Benzathine benzylpenicillin.
Retain this notice in a prominent position, including in other related business units for one month. Report any problems identified with medicines, vaccines or medical devices to the TGA.
Should you require further information regarding this matter, please contact your pharmacist at HPS Pharmacies, or Pfizer on 1800 675 229.
- Bicillin® L-A (benzathine benzylpenicillin tetrahydrate) Australian approved product information. West Ryde: Pfizer. Approved September 2018.
- Rossi S (ed). Australian Medicines Handbook. Adelaide: AMH; 2019.