Further to DrugAlert volume 885, HPS Pharmacies wish to provide an update on the availability of morphine oral solution. Ordine® Oral Solution is set to be discontinued, with all wholesale supplies expected to be exhausted by late March 2024.
However, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has approved several overseas registered morphine oral solution products for supply under Section 19A of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989. These products will be accessible from December 2023, when supplies of the lower strength Ordine® are expected to be depleted.
Products approved under Section 19A include:
- Morphine sulfate 2mg/mL oral solution (Hikma)
- Morphine sulfate 10mg/5mL oral solution (Martindale Pharma)
- Warning – this product contains ethanol (0.4mL per 5mL) and sucrose (2.25g per 5mL).
- Morphini HCl Streuli (morphine hydrochloride) 10mg/mL oral drops (Switzerland)
- Warning – this product is not labelled in English. Additional care is required when storing and dispensing this medicine. Appropriate auxiliary labels should be provided. Health professionals should refer to the Australian product information for dosing information.
- Warning – this product contains alcohol (1.2% v/v).
Retain this notice in a prominent position, including in other related business units for one month. Report any problems identified with medicines, vaccines or medical devices to the TGA.
Should you require further information regarding this matter, please contact Mundipharma on 1800 188 009 or your pharmacist at HPS Pharmacies.
Subscribe Knowledge Centre Updates
Enter your details to receive Knowledge Centre updates